Friday, July 25, 2014

Traffic Jam (Mixed Berry)

BEEP, BEEP!  I love this jam!

Its not always easy harvesting enough red or black raspberries for a single berry jam of either species, and while I've made blueberry jam in the past, I'm just not a big fan.

So, last year I started collecting berries (red, black, and blue) and freezing them.  When I felt I had enough, I thawed the mixed berries and began making my jam.  I had some leftover strawberries, so added those as well.  I have a friend that does the same thing and borrowed the silly title from her.  Its just SO appropriate!

For a truly successful berry jam, you must use a food mill to remove the blueberry skins.  I measure my berries, boil them just until soft, cool slightly and then puree them.  The screen in a standard food mill will catch most of the annoying little berry seeds, as well as the blueberry skins.

12 cups mixed berries (red raspberries, black raspberries, blue berries, strawberries)
6 cups sugar
splash lemon juice (no more than 1/4 cup)
1 pouch liquid pectin
2 tablespoons lemon thyme (optional)
Check out Jam Basics before beginning (click here).


Follow the directions as posted above.  When fruit has been pureed, return it to the dutch oven and add sugar and lemon juice.  Cook at a controlled boil for about 15 minutes (1 teaspoon of jam should mound on chilled plate).  Skim foam, add thyme and pectin and boil one more minute.  Remove from heat and process for 10 minutes.

ENJOY!  BEEP, BEEP!


No comments:

Post a Comment